Sunday, October 21, 2007

To Thine Own Self (And Thy Own Muse) Be True.

Browsing round the internet in search of a snappy quotation from which to extract a snappy title for my Opus In The Making (otherwise known as my NaNo book), I came across a site (blog) called Real Live Preacher. The beginning of an entry caught my eye:

"The Man In Black.

I saw him hitchhiking on the shoulder of the I-35 the other day. He was walking with his back to the traffic and his thumb stuck out......... He was wearing black, of course. So melodramatic. I had to laugh. "

I read the rest of this wonderful essay, which you can find HERE. It was terrific. A huge inspiration for NaNo writers everywhere - in fact for writers per se, never mind NaNo. Now, go read it first, please, because I want to muse (ha ha!) out loud on this essay and if you haven't read it yet, what I say might spoil it for you.

Back? Good.

Apart from the wonderful concept of meeting your muse/sender of dreams/voice of your unconscious/higher power or whatever, I loved the dialogue this guy writes. Dialogue is my weakest point writing-wise and I just adore great dialogue. And this particular interaction was so cool, so real and inspirational. Because in the book I'm planning for NaNo there's a character who plays a role that's sort of similar in some ways to The Man in Black (but not, he's both more and less than this guy). And I've been wrestling with a voice for this guy, trying to figure out how to present him so that he doesn't come over as preachy and too-good-to-be-true. So I'm bookmarking this post because I find here elements that I can use in developing this character.

I also found another blog this morning that made me laugh. It's called God's Blog: The Big Guy in the Sky and it's HERE. Very irreverent, but highly relevant - and sadly, updates very irregularly. But fun!

Now, off to do my daily NaNo prep writing. As many words as I can in an hour. Just to get into practice.

Yeah!!

2 comments:

R.J. Keller said...

“Yeah, fine, right. I read Jung.”

That was brilliant. I've got a simliar figure planned for my NaNoNovel in the form of Wendy's grandmother, who 'guides' her from beyond the grave, so this is perfect. As always, you find the best Stuff.

God said...

Holy smokes!

A fan of my humble little missives...I'm touched.

Sorry about the long (I mean LONG) periods between Heavenly postings, but stuff's come up and the God Blog has kinda falled by the wayside.

But I do promise that if you enjoy it enough to recommend it to others then the least I can do is fire off a post or two as a way of saying thanks.

So give me a few days and I'll see if I can drag something up from the depths of my Omniscient intellect.

Take care, and don't worry about that thing you're stressing over...I got your back.

Toodles!
God