Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Walking the Cat and other Procrastinatory Pursuits


Finally, this blog will have a real reason for being. :-) In November, the annual NaNoWriMO event takes place and together with my buddy Kells, I have signed up to participate. The goal is to write a 50K novel in 30 days ie around about 1600 words per day, on average. As organizer Chris Baty says, the trick is to forget about writing a bestseller and concentrate on producing prose that won't actually make anyone vomit!!

Hee hee hee!

The main problem here is that I've had a nasty case of writer's block for longer than I care to remember so I'm really not sure I can do it. BUT: today I found a site that addresses this issue - it's HERE.

There are many reasons for writer's block, which is defined as either being unable to start or finish a specific piece of writing - and my block falls into both categories. I have two novels 'almost completed'. I have another two novels that are about three chapters long. I have lots of ideas and thoughts and dreams floating around in my brain.

The trick over the next while is going to be to get my brain out of block mode and into writing mode. That's what this blog is going to be all about. I'll be using it to hammer out some of the unblocking exercises - these involve a lot of freewriting, copywriting, researchwriting, dialogue-writing and writing about writing itself, which is what THIS post is all about.

I have to interject here and say that the Backspace key on this laptop just fell off so each time I make a mistake I have to aim for the little bump in the middle of the Backspace space. Gotta get that fixed asap - it's driving me mad!!

Later, writing dudes! :-)


2 comments:

R.J. Keller said...

I agree with Cause #4: Writers often start in the wrong place. In fact, I think I'll blog about that next time. Thanks for the link to that article.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about your backspace key. Too bad it wasn't an expendable key. Like the hyphen. ;-)

Liane said...

I'm both #3 and #4. And the article has given me structure and impetus to try and break past the sticky-stuckness of Teh Writer's Block...

Yep, there are a few keys I could do without, but given my typo-rate, backspace isn't one of them!!